This week I talk with Iemke Postma. A young entrepreneur in food sustainability, Iemke has set up organisations and businesses in permaculture and mushroom cultivation.
He is currently Operations and Project Manager at Florim, a business growing plants, fruits and vegetables in hydroponic greenhouses for local hotels and restaurants in Cape Verde. He’s also setting up his mushroom business in Cape Verde called Cabo Melo.
In this episode, we’ll be talking about his journey in food sustainability. We’ll be covering his path from an ‘ultra skater’ looking to optimise his nutritional intake to starting a business in mushroom cultivation in Cape Verde. We'll touch upon:
- What permaculture is and how it works
- Permaculture in Northern Thailand and ‘permablitzing’ in the Netherlands
- His time living in a cabin in the woods in Ireland working for a Seed Saving organisation
- The weird and wonderful world of mushrooms, how he got involved, and how he ended up in Cape Verde
- Iemke’s tips and tricks for growing mushrooms & living more sustainably